What recipes can I use my cannabis infused whiskey in?
Cannabis infused whiskey is not only great by itself, but it can also be used in many cannabis infused cocktail recipes.
Try out one of these weed infused cocktail recipes:
- Cannabis Infused Old Fashioned
- Weed Infused Whiskey Sour
- Cannabis Infused Sazerac
- Weed Infused Manhattan
How much cannabis should I use for this alcohol infusion?
The strength of your weed-infused tequila is entirely at your discretion. A ratio of 3.5 grams of cannabis buds per 250ml of tequila is quite potent and may be too much for some. A more moderate option would be to use 1-2 grams of cannabis per 250ml of tequila. For a particularly strong tequila, you can also add a cannabis concentrate such as hash oil or distillate. Keep in mind that the combination of alcohol and cannabis can create a strong “crossfaded” effect, so it is important to consume your weed tequila responsibly and in a safe setting. Additionally, it is recommended to be cautious when first trying out the potency and not to consume too much.
Do I need to decarboxylate the cannabis first?
Are you looking to infuse the effects of THC and CBD into your tequila? If so, it’s necessary to decarboxylate your cannabis first. This process activates the THC and CBD by applying heat. Our guide on how to decarb cannabis at home can show you how to do it using common kitchen appliances such as an oven.
On the other hand, if you wish to infuse only the aroma, flavour, and terpenes of cannabis into the tequila, skipping the decarboxylation process is the way to go. This method infuses the tequila with the essence of cannabis, but not the effects of THC and CBD.
Weed Infused Whiskey
- 250ml whiskey
- 1 – 3.5g cannabis buds
- Decarboxylate the cannabis before infusing if you want to infuse the psychoactive effects of THC into the whiskey. If you just want to infuse the flavour profile of your cannabis into the whiskey, without any of the psychoactive effects of THC, then you can skip this step.To decarboxylate – place the cannabis onto a tray or oven dish and spread into an even layer. Cover tightly with foil. Place it into a preheated oven at 240F/115C for 40 minutes. Remove from oven then allow it to cool down.
- Roughly grind or crumble the decarboxylated weed directly into the bottle of whiskey. You can use a glass mason jar instead of a bottle if infusing small amounts. Make sure the bottle or jar has an air-tight seal then give it a good shake for a couple minutes until the ground cannabis is fully submerged and mixed in.
- Place the bottle or jar in a dark place away from direct sunlight for up to 1-2 weeks. Shake it daily to help draw out the terpenes and cannabinoids from the cannabis into the whiskey.For those in a rush, you can do a faster infusion by using heat. Put the mixture into a pot and heat on a low setting, stirring occasionally. Do not allow the temperature to go above 60C to avoid evaporating and cooking the alcohol. Use a thermometer if needed. Let the mixture infuse for 2-3 hours, or longer for a more concentrated flavour profile and stronger effects.
- Pour the infused cannabis whiskey mixture through a cheesecloth, coffee filter, or strainer to remove the plant matter from the liquid. It is now ready to be drank, used in a cocktail, or stored. If you used the fast infusion method, allow the whiskey to cool down first. Enjoy!