Making cannabis infused rum is a very simple and easy to do process. You can make weed rum at home with no special equipment needed. The high alcohol content of rum makes it great for infusing with weed. Marijuana infused rum is a key ingredient in many different cannabis infused cocktails and can also be used to make boozy infused desserts!
To go straight to the recipe, click the “jump to recipe” button above.
What type of rum can I use?
Any type you want. There are lots of different kinds of rum available on the market with different strengths, taste, and flavour profiles. If you want to be able to enjoy the flavour and aroma of the cannabis more, it would be a good idea to pick a white or clear rum which has a milder flavour comparing to other types like dark and black rum.
The alcohol content of the rum also affects how well the cannabinoids infuse. The higher alcohol content, the better. If you can get an “overproof” rum, that is a great choice to use as it has a higher alcohol content than normal rum.
Keep these factors in mind when deciding on what type of rum you want to infuse. If you are not fussy – you can use whatever your favourite rum is.
How much weed should i use for cannabis rum?
This is completely up to you. We will be using 3.5g of cannabis per 250ml of rum which may be quite strong for some people. You can add more or less cannabis to this recipe depending on how potent you want to make your infused rum.
For a high potency infused rum, you can use a concentrate like distillate or hash oil.
Decarboxylate the cannabis before infusing
If you want the psychoactive effects of cannabis infused into your rum, you will need to decarboxylate it. Decarboxylation is a process which uses heat to activate the cannabinoids in the cannabis. If you just want the terpene and flavour profile of the cannabis infused into the rum without any psychoactive effects, you do not need to decarboxylate.
You can decarb weed at home very easily using an oven or other kitchen appliances. Check out or guide on how to decarb weed for more information.
Once you have decarboxylated your cannabis, you can get started with the infusion recipe below.
Weed Infused Rum
- 250ml rum (white, brown, and dark rum all work great)
- 1 – 3.5g cannabis (can be dried or fresh)
- Decarboxylate the weed to activate the THC & CBD. Skip this step if you do not want your infused rum to have psychoactive effects. Place your weed on a baking tray or oven safe dish then cover (make a cover with foil if you don't have a lid). Place into preheated oven at 240F/115C for 40 minutes. Remove from oven then let it cool down.
- Roughly grind your decarboxylated weed then add it straight into the rum bottle. Ensure it is tightly sealed then give it a vigorous shake. A glass mason jar can be used instead of a bottle if infusing small quantities.
- Place the bottle/jar with the rum-cannabis mixture in a dark place for up to 7-14 days. Shake it 2 times a day to help release the cannabinoids and terpenes into the alcohol.If you are in a hurry, you can do a fast infusion by heating the mixture on a low heat for 2-3 hours instead. Do not allow the temperature to go above 60C to avoid cooking off the alcohol. The longer you allow the mixture to infuse, the stronger the flavour profile and effects will be.
- Strain the weed matter out of the rum with a coffee filter, cheese cloth, or strainer of choice. If you did a fast infusion with heat, allow the rum to cool down before you store it. Your weed infused rum is now ready to use!
What recipes can i use cannabis rum in?
Weed infused rum is an essential ingredient in many different cocktail recipes. Try using it in one of these cannabis infused cocktail recipes:
- Marijuana Infused Strawberry Daiquiri
- Cannabis Infused Mojito
- Weed Infused Piña Colada