Cannabis infused gin is an essential ingredient in many cannabis cocktail recipes. It is easy to make, and can be made at home with no special equipment needed. Weed gin has a lovely herby flavour paired with the terpene profile of the strain used for infusion. It is delicious mixed with fizzy lemonade and juices!
What recipes can I use cannabis gin in?
You can use cannabis gin in any cocktail that requires gin. It also goes great in boozy infused desserts. And if you don’t fancy mixing it with anything – it can also be drank by itself if you really want to. Be careful not to knock back too many shots, it can be very powerful!
Try using it in one of these recipes:
- Cannabis Infused Raspberry Gin & Tonic
- Weed Infused Gin & Tonic Donuts
- Cannabis Infused Negroni Cocktail
How much weed should I use?
This is completely up to you. We will be using 3.5 grams of cannabis per 250ml of gin in this recipe which is quite strong for most people. You can adjust the amount of cannabis in this recipe to meet your desired potency. For people with low or no tolerance, 1-2g of weed per 250ml of gin will be more than enough.
Gin is a strong alcohol, and when combined with a dose of THC – it can potentiate the intoxicating effects even more. Always start with a small amount when testing the potency of your infusions. Please consume responsibly and in a safe environment.
Decarboxylate the cannabis before infusing into the gin
Decarboxylating the cannabis is an important step if you want to infuse the effects of THC & CBD into your gin. If you just want to infuse the aroma, flavour, and terpene profile of your cannabis into the gin (without the effects of THC & CBD) then you do not need to decarboxylate.
Decarboxylation is a process that uses heat to convert the THC-A & CBD-A in cannabis into their active and bioavailable forms THC & CBD.
You can decarb cannabis at home very easily using an oven and many other methods. Check out our step by step guide on how to decarb weed for more information.
How to make weed infused gin
Weed Infused Gin
- 250ml gin
- 1 – 3.5g cannabis (both fresh & dried cannabis works great)
- Decarboxylate your cannabis to activate the THC & CBD. If you do not decarboxylate before infusing, you will only infuse the taste and flavour profile of your cannabis into the gin, and not the psychoactive effects of the THC.To decarboxylate your weed, place it in a covered tray or oven dish then put into a preheated oven at 240F/115C for 40 minutes. If your tray or dish has no cover, cover with foil instead. Once removed from oven, allow it to cool down.
- Roughly chop up all the decarboxylated weed and add it to the bottle of Gin. If you are infusing a smaller amount, a glass mason jar works great instead of a bottle. Ensure the bottle or glass jar is tightly sealed then shake it vigorously for 2 minutes.
- Store the bottle or jar in a cool, dark place for up to 7-14 days. Shake it vigorously for a few minutes each day to help extract the terpenes and cannabinoids from the cannabis. The longer you allow it to infuse, the stronger flavour profile and effects.If you do not want to wait a few days for it to infuse, you can do a fast infusion using heat. Heat up the mixture in a pot on low heat for 2-3 hours, ensuring the temperature does not exceed 60C. High heat may evaporate the alcohol content. Stir occasionally, and once done – allow to cool down before putting into a jar or bottle.
- Once infused, strain out the cannabis plant matter from the gin using a coffee filter or strainer. Your weed infused gin is now ready!