Cannabis infused tequila is an essential ingredient in many different cannabis cocktail recipes and can pack quite a kick when drank as a shot. It is very easy to make at home and is a great drink for special occasions. In this article, we will be showing you how to make a potent weed tequila that has the psychoactive effects of THC, as well as CBD infused into it. And if you do not want those effects and just want the flavour and aroma of the cannabis infused into the tequila, then you can do that too!
Keep reading to see how it’s done.
If you want to go straight to the step-by-step recipe, click the “jump to recipe” button above.
To get the psychoactive effects of THC and CBD into your tequila, you will first need to decarb your cannabis. You can decarb your weed at home using our decarb tutorial or check out our list of infusion and decarb machines to simplify the process.
What recipes can I use cannabis infused tequila in?
You can use canna-tequila in many different infused cocktail recipes as well as boozy cannabis dessert recipes. Here are a few recipes for you to try:
- Marijuana Infused Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
- Weed Infused Margarita Cocktail
- Cannabis Infused Tequila Sunset Popsicles
- Weed Tequila Infused Margarita Cupcakes
How much weed should I use for this cannabis alcohol infusion?
This is entirely up to you depending on how strong you would like your weed tequila to be. We will be using 3.5 grams of cannabis buds per 250ml of tequila (14g into 1 litre of tequila) which is quite strong for most people. I recommend using 1-2g of cannabis per 250ml of tequila if you have low or no tolerance.
For those wanting to make a super potent weed tequila, you can use a concentrate like hash oil or distillate.
Please note that the effects of alcohol and cannabis combined creates a powerful “crossfaded” effect which can be overwhelming to some people. Do not drink too much when you are first testing out the potency. Consume your weed tequila responsibly and in a safe environment.
How long should I infuse for?
If you are short on time, you can do a fast infusion which can be done in 1-3 hours. If not, we recommend allowing the weed tequila to infuse for 7-14 days and shaking it twice a day during this process. The longer you allow it to infuse, the stronger and more pronounced the cannabis flavours and aromas.
Decarboxylation – yes or no?
Do you want the magical effects of THC and CBD infused into your tequila? If the answer is yes, then yes you should decarboxylate your cannabis before infusing it into the tequila. Decarboxylation activates the THC/CBD in cannabis by using heat. Check out our weed decarb guide for information on how you can do it at home using an oven or other kitchen appliances.
If you don’t want to infuse the effects of cannabis into the tequila then don’t decarboxylate your cannabis before infusing. This way you can infuse the aroma, flavour profile, and terpenes from your cannabis into the tequila – without the effects of THC and CBD.
Let’s make some cannabis infused tequila!
Weed Infused Tequila
- 500ml tequila
- 3.5 – 7g cannabis
- Decarboxylate your weed to activate the THC. If you do not want to infuse the psychoactive effects into your tequila then skip this step. If you do not decarb first, you will only infuse the aromas and flavour profile of the weed into the tequila.Decarb instructions: Preheat your oven to 240F/115C. Spread your cannabis in an even layer onto an oven dish or tray then cover with foil. Place into the preheated oven for 40 minutes then remove and allow to cool down before removing the foil.
- Grind or crumble the decarboxylated cannabis then add it to the bottle of tequila. If you are infusing a small amount, you can use a glass mason jar instead of a bottle. Make sure the bottle/jar is tightly sealed then shake it for 2-3 minutes.
- Put the bottle/jar in a dark area like a cupboard and let it infuse for up to 1-2 weeks. Shake it vigorously each day to help extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the weed. The longer you allow the weed tequila mixture to infuse, the more pronounced flavour profile and psychoactive effects.If you don't want to wait that long for it to infuse, you can do a fast infusion on the stove that only takes a few hours. Heat the weed tequila mixture on a low temperature for 3 hours and monitor it to make sure it does not exceed 60C. Stir occasionally. High temperature can evaporate the alcohol content and destroy cannabinoids. Use a cooking thermometer if needed.
- Use a cheesecloth, fine strainer, or coffee filter to remove the cannabis plant matter from the tequila once it is finished infusing. Let the weed infused tequila cool down before storing if you used the heated fast infusion method. Your weed tequila is now ready! Enjoy.